.

.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Hola mi Familia y Amigos!

August 6, 2014

Hola mi familia y amigos! 

I am in México! I look out the window everyday and see the beautiful palm trees and view of Mexico City and I can't believe it's real! It's only been a week, but I love it so much here already and it feels like home! 

When I got off the plane, I met up with some other missionaries struggling to drag our extensive luggage all through the airport and got on the infamous CCM yellow bus! And off we went through México City! It was just like I imagined it would be. Every 15 feet there was someone standing on the side of the road selling something or other to the cars driving by. Most were selling there super sketchy looking bags of cheese. Or some other unidentified orange liquid. Haha. Who knows. The traffic was crazy and the building are so worn down and sad looking. The craziest thing though- everywhere you look is español! The billboards- español. Street signs- español. I stuck out like a sore thumb- the only white person at the airport. Loco! 

As we were loading all of our stuff in to our casa, the CCM (Spanish for MTC), welcomed us with a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR! Seriously the craziest rainstorm of my life. People were running into the cafeteria looking like they had just gone for a nice long swim. So that was a fun start. Luckily it's the same time here as Chicago so there was not jetlag. 

So far we've had lots of orientation stuff and classes. Classes for dayz. But I love it! Everyone here is so great. We are all here for the same purpose- to invite others to come to Christ. What a blessing. I love putting on my nametag every morning with my name- Hermana Webb, and Jesus Christ's name right below it. What an honor to be His representative for a year and a half. 

So, my compañera is da best! Her name is Hermana Frei and she is from Washington (crazy) and going to Boston, spanish speaking. It's kind of crazy that we're going to opposite ends of the US. And she went to BYU for a year too, and apparently we hung out one night in the wee hours of the morning at McDonalds. Good thing she recognized me because I never would have made that connection. So I had already met my companion. Crazy. And in my district, there are 8 elders and 4 sisters. And we have SO MUCH FUN together. Probably a little bit too much. But they all make me laugh like every minute of the day. I burn some serious calories just sitting there laughing my head off listening to the Elders singing Frozen and trying to talk in Spanish. Haha. It's so crazy because they are all only 18 years old. They're little babies! But their testimonies and love of the gospel is so strong. They are great examples to me. 

As for the food, well, there are good days and bad days. Ha. We got the comedor (cafeteria) 3x a day. And precisely 3x a day I eat the MOST delicious cantaloupe this world has ever seen. They have it out for every meal. I live off the cantaloupe. It is so fresh. Just imagine any cantaloupe you've had in the US, multiply the quality by 1000 and that's about right. They also have costco pizza once a week! American food! Wooooo! Everything else here definitely has a Mexican twist to it. You get some oatmeal- yeah not really oatmeal. Nothing tastes the same. And they also have some kind of foreign fruit every day. And I always make Hermana Frei be brave and try it. Haha. But 9 times out of 10 she hates it. Kind of a fail. But it is fun to try new stuff. At the tienda, they have all kinds of interesting little snacks, including Chokis. Chokis are life. They are these delicious Mexican cookies that taste like Heaven. We were joking that on our flight back to the US, we're going to have to list 15 boxes of Chokis on our customs form. Haha. Worth it. I'll just leave my clothes here and bring home a suitcase of em to share their delicious savor. Anyways, I'll stop talking about food now...

Yesterday, my district tried going soló español for the whole day. Well, most of my district didn´t know a lick of spanish when they got here. So that just wasn´t realistic. But we tried.. And every time an Elder said an English word, he had to do push-ups. Suffice to say, we reverted back to english by about10 AM. We've still got  A LOT to learn. 

However, we did have the crazy opportunity to start teaching someone about the church on our third day here, completely in español. We're talking about a 30 minute lesson...without a single english word...on our third day here. It was pretty scary, but me and Hermana Frei were praying all day and we had the Spirit with us as the Spanish just starting flowing out of my mouth. Such a cool experience. 

I know that this gospel is true. And that through the Restoration, we have the fullness of truth. That Christ is our Savior and that through him, todo es posible. 

Sorry this is so long, but this has been the most eventful week of my life. Lots of adventures to come and I can't wait. I love you all so much!!!

-Hermana Webb

View of Mexico City out my plane window

CCM here we come


Me and Hermana Frei! Coolest companera ever

The BEST district! Love em all.
Happy Birthday Syd!! From my whole district!
All the Hermanas! 1 to Washington, 1 to Boston, 2 to Iowa!




LOVE THIS!!
Mi Casa!
Thought the boys might appreciate this
The toast bar - nutella for days:)


Mexican snacks. Fun stuff.

The awesome view outside my window!



No comments:

Post a Comment